Detective Genre: Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle
Stradimova Oksana, 11A
Traditional detective especially English, is determined by a number of rules, that cannot be broken. One of the English researches of this genre Robin Winx considered classical detective to be constructed by the 4 clearly expressed actions. The first is the fact, that is done (robbery or murder), the second is to find out the reasons and to collect the evidences. The third action is to pick out the things concerning the main events. And at last, the fourth is to return to the truth, and of course, the personality of the criminal.
U.H. Right has developed a new set of the rules for the detective stories. If these rules are broken it results in reader’s reproaches and displeasure. But sometimes it happens and in this case unexpected actions of the characters help to arouse the reader’s interest:
1) The reader must have equal opportunities with the detective . All clues must be plainly
stated and described.
2) The detective should never turn out to be a culprit.
3) The culprit must be determined by logical deduction, not by accident.
4) The detective novel must have a detective in it and a detective is not a detective unless he
detects. His function is to gather clues which will lead to the person who did the dirty work.
5) There simply must be corpse in a detective novel and the deader the corpse the better.
6) The culprit must turn out to be a person who played a more or less prominent part in the
story, that is a person with whom the reader is familiar.
7) The motives for all crimes in detective stories should be personal…
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle also wrote historical novels, war books, essays. All his books have been translated into Russian. In his preface to the book «Notes on Sherlock Holmes» Kornei Chukovsky remarked that those stories provided «An object-lesson in the power of human intellect and sang a hymn of praise to victorious logic».
The books by Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle are the examples of the classic detective literature and people enjoy reading it. They follow the exciting events, in which both people from high society and common ones, energetic detectives and clever criminals are involved.
Years pass, generations change, but the real masterpieces of literature are immortal. While the detective genre exists, people can hope that evil will be always punished.
Опубликовано 7.08.2010 в категории Работы учащихся |
Количество слов: 397 | Количество просмотров: 406 просмотров | Печать
Метки: обучение английскому языку, работы учащихся, сочинения на английском языке